Strangely Shaped Girl

Transforming body, mind & soul, one tiny metamorphosis at a time.

Friday, July 09, 2004

Aging?

I want to be one of those old hippies who wears mumus because they're comfortable and wears her hair long even though it's gone grey.

Is it weird that I'm looking forward to aging? I mean, I'm not looking forward to aches and pains, and I'm not hoping to rush the process or anything. But it seems like I will feel less pressure to be "pretty" when I'm old.

I know that a lot of women feel it's the opposite: that it's easy to be young and hard to age (and if I worked in Hollywood--where a career can be ruined by the natural aging process--I might agree). But I think it's terribly difficult to be young and not fit cultural standards, physically speaking. People look at you more when you're young. It's when you're supposed to be finding a mate and orchestrating your fairy tale ending. A task that poor self esteem makes quite dicey, I must add.

When you're old, all that stuff is--supposedly--over and done. Decided. There's no pressure.

Maybe I'm just delusional. It's easy to pontificate this way from 24 years old. I might feel differently when I'm 60.

3 Comments:

  • At July 12, 2004 at 12:09 PM, Blogger ~ Mari said…

    Are we related? ROFL

     
  • At July 12, 2004 at 10:48 PM, Blogger ierne said…

    Hell, I figger it's easier to be pretty as I get older. I throw on the eyeliner, the shadow and the mascara, and if I miss - so bloody be it. ;) I don't panic and wash it all off and start over anymore.

    Then again, having two guys tell me NOT to wear it at all was a bonus..LOL let me tell ya ladies, getting older brings out the younger guys. Oh wait - Mari knows that already! ;)

    I want a mumu! Where do I get one??

     
  • At July 15, 2004 at 1:36 PM, Blogger ~ Mari said…

    My grandmother always just made her own.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home